This sweet potato and butterbean stew is the perfect winter warmer. It also has a herby scone topping which makes it a lovely filling dish after an energetic day. If you want to make them separately then the stew can be enjoyed straight from the pot without putting it in the oven. The scones also make a great change for lunch with vegan cream cheese or a tasty chutney.
If you like this recipe you may also like my Tofish and Chips. A big hit with the whole family.
Sweet Potato and Butterbean Stew with Herby Scones
A delicious winter warmer with scone topping, or make separately for a quick meal.
- 750g sweet potato
- 500g baby tomatoes
- 250g mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 tins of butterbeans, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250ml passata
- 250ml stock
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
- For the Scones:
- 350g self raising flour
- 225ml soya milk
- 75g vegan butter
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Step 1 Firstly peel and chop the onions and finely chop the garlic.
- Step 2 In a large saucepan heat the oil on a medium heat and cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Step 3 Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks, quarter the mushrooms.
- Step 4 Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potato, stock and passata to the pan along with the mixed herbs.
- Step 5 Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 7 Transfer to a large baking dish.
- Step 8 For the scones: add the cider vinegar to the soya milk and set aside
- Step 9 In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed herbs.
- Step 10 Rub the vegan butter in with your fingertips until there are no big lumps. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Mix to a dough with your hands and then transfer to a floured surface.
- Step 11 Roll out to 1.5 cm thick and cut into circles with a 5cm fluted cutter.
- Step 12 Place around the outside of the dish, overlapping slightly. Brush the tops with a little soya milk.
- Step 13 Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 20 minutes or until the scones are golden.